Friday, October 10, 2014

I Didn't Give Birth To A Purple Penguin


I am so over being politically correct.  I have a big mouth and I say what I think.  Sometimes that offends people, sometimes it doesn't.  In my opinion, more people need to speak their mind.  I have more respect for a person that says how they feel even if I don't agree with what they are saying. 

Now, for the other side.  Stop being a big bunch of cry babies.  Seriously, I'm sorry if your mother never taught you that life is not 100% fair and that you may not always get your way but that's how it goes..deal with it.  The entire world is not going to approve of your life and you shouldn't care if they do or not.  If you don't share the values that a business supports don't go there. They have the right to live their lives the way they choose and their right is of no less value than yours. We are all equal and your positions are of no more or less value than those of anyone else. You don't have to call CNN or Fox News and start a big ordeal..just go somewhere else.  Seriously, it's time to grow up.

I am not in any way condoning or saying to ignore hate. If someone is actually harming another person then we should all step in or at least call the police to handle it. And by harming I mean physical and emotional harm.  Harassing someone until they commit suicide is harm. You can stand behind your beliefs that being gay is a sin but you can not use that to justify torturing a person.  God says to show patience, love and understanding.  Someone living, in your opinion, in sin is not going to result in you going to Hell. Westboro Baptist Church is not spreading the word of God, they are spreading hate, judgment and ignorance while giving the Baptist religion a bad name.  I don't judge people based on race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, etc. I do judge people based on the things that they say.  I know I shouldn't but sometimes it just happens.  For example: a school district in Lincoln, Nebraska has advised teachers to make their classrooms gender-inclusive.  Sounds nice right?  I assumed this meant telling girls they can be firefighters and boys they can play with Barbies.  Personally, I don't see the big gender gap that everyone is always talking about. I have never been treated any differently because I am a woman and I just refuse to believe that it is the big deal that some people are making it out to be.  Anyway, I thought it was ok.  I don't think playing with a doll makes a boy gay or that playing with trucks screws up a girl in any way.  It's not a subject that I take a stand on.  If the kid wants a doll give it to him, if not leave him alone.  Basically, let the kids do what they want to do.

The next phrase in the article left me speechless.  "Don't use phrases such as 'boys and girls', 'you guys', 'ladies and gentlemen,' and similarly gendered expressions to get kids' attention." That is a quote from a handout that was given to teachers.  It is part of an effort to educate teachers and administrators about transgender issues.  Teachers are instructed to ask themselves, "Will this configuration create a gendered space?" Ok, what the (insert the word you know I am thinking).

The b-word and the g-word are off limits now.  Back in my day the b-word was something totally different than the horrible word BOY. I do have to say that these people are acting like a bunch of whiney ass little old school b-words.  One suggestion given to teachers is to pick a nickname for their class, such as the Purple Penguins, and then instead of saying boys and girls come here they should say Purple Penguins come here.  I didn't lay in a hospital bed for hours, have a needle full of super drugs stabbed into my back and push a herd of purple penguins out of my whoo-ha.  I certainly didn't spent countless hours at the vet's office with sick penguins.  Seriously..WTF?!
Next we will be praising United Airlines for their idiotic letter addressed to Mr Human, oh wait..scratch the Mr part. 

I'm a reasonable person.  I don't hate on a group of people.  I support traditional marriage but I don't hate everyone that is gay.  I can disagree with you respectfully and still be your friend.  I do not have a single friend that I agree with 100% of the time but I do respect them and their beliefs, even if they are different than mine.  I don't agree with the whole man trapped in a woman's body thing or the other way around but it's your body, not mine.  If you want to do that then by all means go for it.  I am pro-life and I believe that abortion is murder.  I'm not to stand in front of an abortion clinic with a sign or tell everyone that has ever had one that they are going to Hell.  I am not going to judge a person for sinning differently than I do.  I am not going to hate, judge or insult someone for being different than I am. 

I can not stand stupid..it's the one thing that I can not tolerate.  Ignorance is a choice.  My opinions may not always be right but I have reasons for believing what I believe and I can explain those reasons to anyone that would like to listen.  They are not always right and I have changed my opinion on many things after a more informed person explained their side, in an educated and respectful way.  Ignorance is believing something and not being able to explain why you believe it. Because is not an explanation.  If you can not go into detail about why you support or don't support something then you are not educated on that subject enough to have an opinion. I think Ebola making it to the US sucks but I am not informed enough on the subject to sit here and say what steps we need to take to prevent more cases entering the US. I don't believe shutting down the country and stopping international flights is the answer because there are borders that people can walk across. Like I said, I am not educated enough on that subject to have an opinion on what steps should be taken to contain I or to say the efforts to contain it aren't enough. If you don't know what you are talking about don't talk.  It's really that simple.  I don't speak up publically about many things, not out of political correctness or fear but out of respect for the people that feel differently than I do.  Calling kids purple penguins..yeah, I am going to say something about that.

Boy and girl, man and woman, male and female..they are all actual words that can be found in the dictionary.  I can understand banning words that have no meaning other than to cause harm or that have slang definitions that are harmful.  Ban the original b-word, n-word, retard, faggot..ban all of that. Boys have a penis.  Girls have a vagina.  Whether you feel you have the wrong body or not you can't change the fact that you have a penis or vagina..well you can now.  If you feel that you have the wrong body there are ways of changing that.  Until then you are a boy or girl and after your change you are the opposite.  It's not an insult and it's not intended to limit anyone, it's a simple fact.

Being called a boy or a girl is NOT offensive.  It's a way to describe a person.  Police don't issue Amber Alerts and ask the public to be on the look out for a black human that has short hair and is 4ft tall.  A fat lot of good that would do.  I'm not offended by being called a girl, woman, mom, daughter, wife or bitch.  I am all of that and more.  I accept who I am and I will raised my children to know that they are not purple penguins, orange snakes or polka dotted unicorns, they are boys and girls and there is not a single thing wrong with that.

We need to teach our kids to be who they are.  We may not always like who they chose to be or agree with their decision but those are for them to make.  I raise my kids to be who they are and to be awesome at it.  They know that the decision on how they live their life is for them, and them alone, to make. They know to respect others whether they agree with them or not and they know that the world and their family may not always agree with them but God did not put them here to make everyone else happy.  The world will judge you no matter what choice you make. I don't care what anyone's opinion of me is and my kids are being taught to feel the same way.  I don't jump to their defense if someone calls them a name or makes them uncomfortable.  I teach them to understand that the opinion of someone else has no impact on how their life turns out.  I can't sit here and say that my kids wont grow up and do every single thing that I disagree with.  If they do I wont love them any less. I can say with confidence that if they do grow up to make those choices that it is not the result of psychological damage resulting from being classified as a boy or girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment