Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Fried-less Fried Chicken - On The Cheap and Lazy


We all know that I hate to cook.  More than anything, I hate to cook.  I have named myself the queen of lazy recipes.  If it takes more than 15 minutes of prep time I avoid it at all costs.  When we have "good" food the husband normally cooks. 

Everyone in my house LOVES fried chicken.  I hate it.  The smell of anything fried just makes me sick. Anything that's oily..pizza included, I just can't stand on a regular basis.  I can smell the grease in the house for days after they fry something and end up scrubbing the entire kitchen in an attempt to get rid of that smell.

Well, since they love fried chicken I started to feel a little bad about not allowing it in the house.  I'm over my guilt now that I have discovered fried-less fried chicken.  Fried-less is a word.  It means not fried.  I wouldn't suggest looking it up in the dictionary or using it during Scrabble but it's a real word on my blog.

So here goes..the BEST fried-less fried chicken recipe you will ever find.  It's so easy and I even like it!

Ingredients:

Corn Flakes
Tony's seasoning
Garlic Salt
Lemon Zest
Buttermilk
Chicken breasts

Directions:

Heat oven to 350 degrees

Cover a baking pan with tinfoil and spray with cooking spray.
Pour Corn Flakes into a gallon size bag.  The amount will depend on the number of chicken breast you are cooking.  For 2 breasts I use about 2 cups of Corn Flakes.  There is a lot left in the bag, so I am probably using too much.
Seal the bag after removing all of the air and crush the corn flakes. 
Next, add the seasonings (Tony's, garlic salt and lemon zest) to the bag.  I don't measure this, I just dump some in there :)
Shake the bag and mix everything up.
Dip the chicken breasts into the buttermilk and then add them to the cornflake mixture.
Seal the bag and shake it/toss it until the breasts are covered.
Place the chicken in the casserole dish and bake until the chicken is done.  Usually about an hour. 

It's that simple!  And it tastes great!  So much better and healthier than stinky old fried chicken!!

2 comments: