Saturday, September 6, 2014

Review: A Guide To Meaningful and Significant Parenting






 

I received this EBook, for free, last weekend in exchange for reading it and providing an honest review.  I downloaded the book and expected it to be written in the same form as most parenting books I have read in the past.  I was pleasantly surprised. 

I enjoy reading self help and instructional/advise books because it opens my mind.  I don't read them intending to put the book down and have all of the answers to life/parenting.  By reading theses types of books, for me anyway, my mind is opened and I begin to think about things in a completely different light.  Things I once felt that I was an expert on suddenly look completely new. 

When I read this book  I instantly thought of the Duggar Family.  I have a slight obsession with them.  I do NOT want 19 kids and counting but, every week when I watch the new episode I am in awe.  How have they managed to raise 19 kids that are calm, respectful, honorable, have great morals and faith stronger than most adults?  Kids that know part of being a family means that everyone chips in to help.  How in the world do they have 19 kids and not spend the entire day yelling and breaking up fights?  I think this book answers all of those questions.

My favorite part of the book is this quote "I am not who I think I am. I am also not who you think I am. I am what I think you think I am".  Wow, I never thought of it like that. How true is that?  Kids want to please their parents, they want to be what they think we want them to be.  It may not always be obvious but that is how it works. 

I've realized, by reading this book, that there are more productive ways to correct behavior than constantly fussing, yelling and grounding. Kids misbehave because they are in the process of learning the correct way to behave.  We have to teach them, they don't automatically know this.  Instead of punishing them for every mistake we need to teach them why that was wrong and a better way to handle the situation.

This book is available for purchase at http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Meaningful-Significant-Parenting-ebook/dp/B00N32OM06/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1410025175&sr=1-1&keywords=A+guide+to+meaningful+and+significant+parenting

I recommend this book to every parent, new or old..everyone should definitely take the time to read this book.  It has changed the way I respond to many situations. I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment