Saturday, September 27, 2014

I'm Not "That" Mom


We all know "that" mom.  She is Super Woman. She is Michelle Duggar on steroids.  That mom that is a member of the PTO, is at every field trip, every class party, every pep rally.   She makes cookies for the class because it's Tuesday and all of the neighborhood kids can be found at her house after school.  She never yells.  Her house is spotless.  She is completely dressed, hair fixed and make up on during parent drop off at 7:30 a.m.  Her days are spent planning family fun activities.  She is perfect..and she makes the rest of us sick.

I am not a member of the PTO, they would probably kick me and my big, loud mouth out after the first meeting.  I don't usually make field trips that start before 9:00 a.m.  I do normally make it to class parties because they are in the afternoon.  I don't go to pep rallies.  My daughter is not a cheerleader and my son is in 1st grade.  Why would I even consider going to a pep rally?? I don't exactly have pep flowing from me..I certainly don't at 8:45 a.m. I don't make cookies. I can buy a pack of Oreos, but I don't bake.  I yell constantly.  Even when the kids are at school I am yelling at them. They seem to have caught some form of hearing loss and can only hear me when I scream at the top of my lungs.  My house looks like the Hurricane Katrina after photos.  I am not dressed at parent drop off.  Hell, I'm not even awake.  The husband drops the kids off on his way to work everyday.  I spend my days trying to get at least 1 room completely clean before the kids get home which usually results in me messing up more rooms that I get clean.  I am not perfect, I am a regular mom.

I love my kids.  I love them more than anything but I do enjoy those few hours a day when the majority of them are at school.  Until 3:00 p.m. every weekday I don't have to break up fights, do homework, study, make projects, bathe kids and cook huge meals.  It's like a mini vacation at home. Occasionally, when the shortest one lets me, I even get to sit down and watch a show on television.  It's amazing!

It is completely possible to love your kids and not like them all at the same time.  I don't like my kids very much when they are screaming and throwing things.  I would really love to have a babysitter to send them to on those days.  I don't have to be up their butts all day everyday for them to know that I love them and that I am always here for them.  Instead of being "that" mom, I'm just mom. They enjoy their time at school away from me just as much as I enjoy it.  I miss them some days and I'm always ready for the weekend to have them home for a couple of days but overall, I enjoy my few hour long break.  They need to have their independence. They need to have some type of a life outside of me.  A chance to make their own decisions and learn how to grow up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment